IBM FileNet-Based Electronic Document Management Solution
The Electronic Document Management (EDM) System built on IBM FileNet is designed to automate document management processes at companies and organizations. The EDM system was implemented for X5 Retail Group, a leading Russian food retailer.
- Increase information accessibility and transparency of business processes
- Increase efficiency and manageability of document processes
- Cut costs of workflow processes through
- Reduction of paperwork
- Elimination of duplicate information and raising of its reliability and relevancy
- Easy search of information.
- Optimize employees' work through minimization of manual operations and elimination of duplicate operations in processing of documents
- Improve control over execution of documents and tasks.
The EDM system built on IBM FileNet accumulated the IBA Group's experience in workflow automation.
The following basic mechanisms were implemented:
- Replacement (assignment of a temporary person in charge)
- Multi–language support
- Creation of documents from templates
- Support of different versions of business processes
- Maintaining of master data
- Search / Reporting.
- Agendas and minutes of meetings
- Incoming documents, including email, regular mail, courier mail, and faxes
- Outgoing documents
- Normative documents
- Regulatory documents
- Other documents
- Master data.
- Create, edit, finalize, approve, register, view, store, update, and delete documents and tasks
- Search documents and tasks at any active stage of their lifecycle, filter and sort objects
- Create tasks based on existing documents, as well as new documents either linked with registration cards or not, control task execution, and send notifications by email
- Use templates to create documents and provide version control
- Create and maintain a staff list with contact information sorted by different criteria
- Publish documents in intranets and portals by posting links to documents from the storage. Different users are assigned different access rights to the linked documents
- Build analytic reports on system's operation and state of documents using different criteria and export those reports to Microsoft Word or Excel
- Create and assign roles, appoint deputies (replacements) to execute roles defined in business processes
- Maintain `access calendars' with automatic delegation of assignments
- Maintain logs of system events and user activities
- Display how a business process moves through a defined route. Support different versions of routes
- Provide a reliable storage with quick access to corporate information and ensure data protection against unauthorized access
- Other features.
The EDM system supports offline work with documents on iOs(iPad), Android and other operating systems.
- Synchronization of documents and tasks when internet connection is available. Work with documents in any place and at any time
- Intelligent loading of documents
- Synchronization at user request and background synchronization.
The application operates in two modes, namely synchronization and work with documents. For user authentication in synchronization mode, a domain name and password are applied.
On iPad, information is encrypted using native tools, an https protocol is applied, and user authentication is done through domain name and password.
The system's functionality can be expanded and adapted to suit the needs of individual organizations.
Advantages of EDM System
- High performance and scalability, and possibility of concurrent work of thousands of users
- User–friendly and intuitive interface
- Work with different file formats, including jpg, .caf, .pdf, .html, .zip, doc, docx, xls, and xlsx
- Central hierarchic data storage
- Multi–lingual support
- Remote offline operation on mobile devices
- Mature system of finalization, approval, and commenting in offline mode
- Auditing and monitoring using a log of system events and a log of user actions.